Momita Flower Products
Mr. Md Delowar Hossain and Mrs. Shelly Hossain are agro entrepreneurs from Kewa Village, Sreepur Upazila of Gazipur District. They founded Momita Flower Products.
Momita Flower Products has been operating on a small scale ever since it was started back in 2006. Both Delowar and Shelly were extremely passionate about flower cultivation and ended up creating a nursery to offer a variety of flowers locally.
While they have done fairly well, despite their efforts they fell short to grow adequately because of two major reasons: lack of effective marketing and capital access.
Delowar and Shelly attended our accelerator program in Dhaka. Their journey with the SmartCap program looked like the following:
- Learned about business expansion models
- Learned how to develop proper marketing strategies
- Learned how to keep financial records and plan for the future
- Learned how to prepare pitch decks
- Pitched business in front of investors and banks
- Increased production and sales by 50%
- Increased workforce by 50%. Currently they have ~50 employees who are directly working in the flower processing unit and a further 20-25 part time workers who are working in ancillary functions like packaging and logistics. Moreover, currently 3 indian consultants are giving full time support in strategic and technical decision making and implementation process
- Receiving constant speaking offers as panelists in impact investment oriented events and other promotional events
- Currently developing own logistics support to ensure uninterrupted supply of flower products in the domestic market. Moreover, signing up distributors in divisional cities
- Planning to diversify into strawberry production – already in talks with a team from India to help set that up
- Developed the first ever high-tech plantation technology in Bangladesh
- Currently they are producing variety of flowers, including exotic roses
Traditionally Bangladeshi flower producers import exotic flower seedlings from abroad. However it is about to change for good. Momita Flower Products is taking the much needed initiative to develop the first state-of-the-art production unit of flower seedlings in Bangladesh.
Once production starts, they will distribute the flower seedlings around the country, promoting local products and reducing import dependency.