On the 23rd of February, 2021, Standard Chartered Bank organized a webinar titled “Unlocking the Power of Digitization in MFI Sector” to discuss the prospects of digital transformation in the microfinance sector. The webinar brought together regulators and stakeholders from within the microfinance ecosystem, to deliberate on the digitization of the MFI sector in Bangladesh. The discussants engaged in a detailed conversation on the potential, opportunities, challenges and impacts that this sector might have on the economy of Bangladesh.
Zahedul Amin, Director, Finance, Strategy and Consulting Services, at LightCastle Partners, was the keynote speaker of the event, who gave a presentation covering the overall MFI landscape of Bangladesh and gauged the sector’s scope and opportunities. Furthermore, he outlined the benefits and challenges of digitizing the sector. Additionally, he provided key recommendations and the way forward- emphasizing the need for literacy training, for aiding the technology adoption by the general public, and building the ecosystem around the beneficiaries.
The event was moderated by Alamgir Morshed, MD, Head of Financial Institutions, Standard Chartered Bank. The webinar included the following esteemed panelists:
- Md. Fashiullah, Executive Vice Chairman of Microcredit Regulatory Authority
- Md. Abdul Awal, Executive Director of Credit and Development Forum (CDF)
- Prof. Dr. Hosne Ara Begum, Executive Director of TMSS
- Zahida Fizza Kabir, CEO of Sajida Foundation
- Kamal Quader, CEO bKash Limited
- Munawar Reza Khan, Executive Director of Manabik Shahajya Shangstha
- Md. Saleh Bin Sums, Executive Director of PADAKHEP Manabik Unnayan Kendra