Zahedul Amin, Co-founder and Director, Finance, Strategy and Consulting Services, provided his key insights at a webinar titled ‘Strategies to Attract FDI into Sri Lanka’, organized by ICC SL, Daily FT, CIMA and Boston Consulting Group (BCG) to discuss the required strategies to attract FDI to countries like Sri Lanka and developing nations like Bangladesh, especially in the context of the global pandemic.
The respected panelists for the session where:
- CEO of ICC Global, Mr. John Denton
- State Minister of Money and Capital Market and Estate Enterprise Reforms, Mr. Ajith Nivard Cabraal
- Ambassador of Bangladesh to the Netherlands, Riaz Hamidullah
- Chairman of the Board of Investment of Sri Lanka, Mr. Sanjaya Mohottala
- Sri Lanka Chairperson of Unilever, Ms. Hajar Alafifi
- CEO of Hambantota International Port Group, Mr. Ray Ren
- Founder of M3V Ventures LLC, Mr. Insaaf Mohideen
- Chairman of ICCSL, Mr. Dinesh Weerakkody
- Founding Editor/CEO of Daily FT, Mr. Nisthar Cassim
Panelists noted that investors had removed $83 billion worth of investments from developing countries since the beginning of the COVID-19 crisis, the largest capital outflow ever recorded. Adding that according to UNCTAD global FDI flows are expected to contract between 30% to 40% during FY 2020/21.
Zahedul Amin, shared his views on the prospects of FDI in Bangladesh and Sri Lanka, earmarking that the right hygiene factors must be met, as well as creating a situation for potential investors to see a country’s true potential and connect at a more intangible level where they enjoy being part of the country’s success and growth.
Watch the recording of the webinar here.